If you’re looking for the best ChatGPT alternatives, you’re in the right place. Since launching in 2022, ChatGPT took the world by storm.
The AI chatbot, ideal for creating content, answering complex questions, and boosting productivity, introduced millions of users to a new type of AI.
Powered by large language model technology (GPT3.5 for the free version and GPT-4 for the paid version), ChatGPT is one of the world’s leading AI tools.
However, it’s far from the only generative AI solution on the market. In fact, dozens of similar solutions have emerged to help summarize content, streamline tasks, and sharpen the competitive edge of users.
We tested some of the most popular tools available today, to bring you a list of the best alternatives to ChatGPT for 2024.
Best ChatGPT Alternatives
- Jasper Chat
- Bard AI
- Microsoft Bing AI
- Claude AI
- Elsa Speak
- OpenAI Playground
Why Go for a ChatGPT Alternative
There’s no denying that ChatGPT is an incredible tool. It offers a fantastic combination of flexibility, and ease of use, as well as an attractive free plan. If you’re experimenting with generative AI tools for the first time, ChatGPT is a great choice.
It can handle a range of tasks, from editing content for search engine optimization (SEO) to producing captions for social media and content generation.
However, it does have some limitations. For instance, ChatGPT’s massive userbase means the free version is often overwhelmed at peak times, making it harder to use consistently.
Secondly, ChatGPT’s free plan, while generous, may not be ideal for advanced users. It’s unable to browse the internet, and can’t retain as much information from conversations as the paid solution.
If you’re looking for more specific functionality, such as the ability to create long-form content, or automate complex workflows, an alternative might be your best bet.
Some ChatGPT alternatives can generate brand-specific content in your tone of voice, deliver better SEO-ready content, and even integrate with your favorite tools.
Overall, I think ChatGPT is an excellent tool. It’s easy to use for beginners, so if you don’t have a lot of experience with generative AI, you can easily master things like prompting and iteration.
Additionally, the free version is extremely generous, allowing you to experiment with most of the functionality Open AI offers with limited restrictions.
Some of the key benefits of ChatGPT include:
- Ease of use: You don’t need comprehensive AI knowledge to master ChatGPT. Even if you’ve never used an AI bot before, it’s easy for beginners to get started.
- Affordability: Though the paid version of ChatGPT is more advanced, you can still accomplish plenty of tasks with the free alternative.
- Flexibility: Both the paid and free versions of ChatGPT can be customized with plugins and integrations, to help you access more functionality.
- Machine learning: ChatGPT is constantly improving based on user feedback, and iteration. Plus, the more you use it, the more likely you’ll be able to generate the right responses.
Despite its numerous benefits, ChatGPT does have some serious limitations, particularly if you’re using the free version of the software.
Aside from the potential for unexpected downtime (as mentioned above), the solution suffers from issues like:
- AI hallucinations: Sometimes ChatGPT can confidently generate responses to questions that turn out to be inaccurate or inappropriate, meaning you need to use due diligence.
- Limited free version: The free version of the app can’t respond to longer, more detailed prompts, browse the internet, or cite sources for the information it provides.
- Ethics: There’s a possibility that the responses created by ChatGPT will plagiarize other content from the internet, which could expose you to copyright issues.
- Fewer features: The free version of ChatGPT is less equipped to produce branded content, or deliver advanced SEO capabilities, limiting what you can do with the app.
- Missing integrations: The free version of the app can’t be integrated with existing tools. While there is an API available, it’s difficult to get started for beginners.
What Are The Best ChatGPT Alternatives for 2024?
I’ve experimented with the free versions of all of the tools listed above, and leveraged insights from user reviews to bring you this list.
All of the solutions covered have their own unique benefits to offer that can give them an edge over ChatGPT for certain tasks.
1. Jasper Chat
Jasper Chat is the best alternative to ChatGPT overall for generating content. It’s one of the most advanced tools available, with 29 languages, and exceptional chat context.
Formerly known as Jarvis, Jasper is an AI writing software that offers a fantastic alternative to ChatGPT. Jasper Chat, a core component of the Jasper software suite for content creators, is one of the more user-friendly options out there, ideal for beginners.
The chatbot can easily respond to a range of prompts, helping you generate full blog articles, brainstorm emails and social media campaigns, and edit or create comprehensive content.
It even has a fantastic level of context recognition, as it can remember what you’ve talked about in the past.
- Multi-lingual: While many chatbots really only respond to English, Jasper can understand and create content in 29 different languages.
- Context: Jasper Chat is excellent at retaining information and context from a conversation, so it can respond consistently to aligned questions.
- Expansive knowledgebase: Jasper has learned from billions of transcripts, articles, and forums, making it great at dealing with complex topics.
- Brand knowledge: Users can train Jasper AI on company knowledge, with brand voice and style guides, strategy, and positioning content and more.
- Insights: With Jasper AI, you can leverage actionable insights for your campaigns, review and optimize content, and even track performance.
There’s a free trial of Jasper Chat available for beginners, but no free plans. The “Creator” plan starts at $49 per month, with 1 user seat, access to SEO model, a browser extension and 1 brand voice.
The “Pro” version for $69 per month supports up to 3 brand voices, 10 knowledge assets, and collaboration tools, as well as Jasper Art.
There’s also a “Business” Enterprise version of the solution available with API access, dedicated account support, enterprise-grade security, and advanced admin tools. You also get team spaces, custom style guides, and advanced analytics.
- Excellent branded content solutions
- Collaboration and user management
- Art generation tools
- SEO solutions built-in
- Exceptional ease of use
- Expensive pricing
- Requires extensive fact checking
Further reading 📚
2. Bard AI
We recommend Bard AI for people who already use a wide variety of Google tools, such as Google Workspace and Gmail. It also includes access to the internet for more up-to-date content.
Created by Google, and powered by the latest “Gemini” language model, Bard AI is a powerful solution with a lot of similar functionality to ChatGPT.
The conversational AI service integrates seamlessly with existing Google solutions, and more advanced versions of the technology will soon be able to process various forms of content, including video and audio.
Using Bard AI feels extremely straightforward. You can simply ask the bot a question and it can respond with incredible accuracy, even including citations for the information it reveals.
It even has a free version for beginners, making it an excellent competitor to ChatGPT.
- Integration with Google: Bard works seamlessly with the tools you already use from Google, such as Gmail, Google Docs, Sheets, and more.
- Internet access: Even the free version of Bard can access the internet, so it can provide up-to-date responses to the questions you ask.
- Versatility: Google Bard can support users with a range of tasks, from generating content, to summarizing text, and even creating code.
- Thorough responses: Google Bard can answer your questions with accurate and in-depth information, and you can regenerate each response with a single click.
- Affordability: The free version of the app makes it easy for beginners to get started with generative AI.
Currently, Bard is free to use for anyone who has a Google account. However, it’s worth noting Google is experimenting with an advanced version of Bard, powered by Gemini Pro. When this solution is released, it may have a pricing plan.
- Incredible large language model technology
- Fantastic integrations with Google tools
- Access to the internet on all plans
- Thorough responses to complex questions
- Constant improvement thanks to Google
- Some responses are quite generic
- Limitations for certain tasks
Bing AI is excellent for companies and users who want to leverage AI to browse the web more effectively and generate accurate responses to questions for research.
Produced by Microsoft, Bing AI, otherwise known as “Copilot”, is a state-of-the-art tool based on the OpenAI large language model.
It was specifically created to take your search experience to the next level, maximizing speed, efficiency, and accuracy.
With Bing AI, you can access rapid answers to questions on a range of topics, with citations from the internet, so you know you’re getting a relevant response.
This user-friendly solution might not be ideal for those looking for comprehensive writing tools, but it excels at natural language processing and certain types of content generation.
- Internet connection: Bing AI is connected to Microsoft Edge and search engine technology, making it ideal for up-to-date research.
- Accuracy: The chatbot shows its sources from Google search and other environments, so you know you’re getting an accurate response.
- Ease of use: Bing AI is extremely easy to use, even for beginners who have never used a chatbot before.
- Versatility: The chatbot can process complex inquiries, with prompts of up to 1000 words, and it can look up information in seconds.
- Affordability: You can use Bing AI for free, and if you need access to the API you only pay for the functionality you use.
Like Bard, Bing AI is free to use as part of the Edge browser. There are also various Copilot tools available for free for solutions like Windows. If you need to access the API, you pay only for the functionality you use, on a pay-as-you-go basis.
- Access to the internet
- Exceptional ease of use
- Machine learning capabilities
- Suitable for complex prompts and inputs
- Free plan for beginners
- Only works with Microsoft technologies
- Doesn’t remember previous conversations
SpinBot is an excellent tool for rewriting content to make it sound unique. It’s a free tool, with exceptional ease of use, and it even includes an AI content detector.
Unlike other ChatGPT alternatives, SpinBot doesn’t excel at creating content for you. Instead, it focuses on improving and optimizing the content you already have.
The free platform includes access to a “text spinner” which reforms the content you already have into something unique.
It also includes paraphrasing and summarization tools for long-form content, and has a built-in grammar checker to improve the quality of the content you produce.
If you’re looking for a solution to refresh and enhance your content, SpinBot could be the ideal tool.
- Rewriting: If you need to rephrase or enhance old content, SpinBot can convert your existing writing into something fresh and interesting.
- Paraphrasing: You can use SpinBot to shorten your text, uncover quick takeaways, or summarize large amounts of content.
- Grammar checking: SpinBot excels at checking the quality of your content, looking for common grammar issues and mistakes.
- Free tools: Alongside the paraphrasing, summarization, and editing tools, SpinBot also offers access to free solutions like an AI content detector.
- Simplicity: SpinBot is great for beginners. You simply input your existing text, press a button, and the AI algorithm gets to work.
You can leverage SpinBot for free, provided you keep ads and use captcha technology. If you want to access more advanced tools, you can contact the team for more information.
- Free to use with no limitations
- Excellent grammar checking
- Access to a wide range of free tools
- Convenient rewriting capabilities
- No learning curve for beginners
- Can produce overly complex content
- Limited use cases
We’d recommend ChatSonic for versatile content creation, with integrated Google search, image generation, and advanced collaboration features.
ChatSonic, by WriteSonic, is one of the most powerful ChatGPT alternatives for content creation. It’s powered by GPT-4 and the custom models produced by Open AI, giving it similar functionality to ChatGPT, but it bypasses a lot of the limitations of the original solution.
With ChatSonic, you get real-time access to data, image and voice searches, and a huge range of content creation opportunities.
The solution can even learn from your branded content, making it ideal for generating more specific responses. Plus, it can use keywords and SEO guidelines.
- Personal control: You can use the persona mode to customize your AI chat experience to your specific needs, creating more personalized content.
- Image generation: As well as creating unique text, ChatSonic can produce beautiful images based on your specific needs, with natural prompts.
- Memory: ChatSonic can remember context from your conversations, making it easier to produce long-form content and have comprehensive conversations.
- Flexibility: ChatSonic is accessible via a Chrome extension, the ChatSonic website, and an app available for Android smartphones.
- Prompt marketplace: A comprehensive prompt marketplace makes it simple to create comprehensive prompts for your entire team to use.
There’s a free version of ChatSonic available to beginners, which allows one user to generate up to 10,000 words per month using GPT 3.5.
The paid plans start at $19 per month, with support for GPT-4, and 200,000 words. The more words you need to create, the more your pricing increases. Plus, there’s a freelance version for $20 per month with unlimited words.
There’s also a custom enterprise version of WriteSonic available starting at $500 per month for AI model development, onboarding, support, and custom packages.
- Excellent content generation capabilities
- Lots of customization options for branded content
- Excellent prompt marketplace
- Easy accessibility on web and mobile
- Text and image generation
- Limited words on most plans
- Paid plans can be quite expensive
Quillbot is an excellent paraphrasing tool designed to enhance your writing and create unique content with custom modes and different tones of voice.
If you’re looking for a simple AI solution that can paraphrase and reword your content for you, Quillbot is a great choice.
This convenient tool is free to use for beginners, and comes with unlimited custom modes to choose from, to adapt your content into your tone of voice.
The tool comes with plenty of handy features built-in, such as a plagiarism checker, sentence rephraser, and text summarizer.
It can also integrate directly into Chrome and Microsoft Word, alongside other tools, so you can use it alongside the apps you access every day.
- Paraphraser: Quillbot excels at paraphrasing and summarizing lengthy content, highlighting key points and action items from a variety of documents.
- Customization: You can use one of the 8 pre-built modes to create content in a specific tone, or design your own custom mode for QuillBot.
- Advanced features: QuillBot includes an automatic translator for multiple languages, plagiarism checker, citation generator, and grammar checker.
- Integrations: This AI bot can integrate with Chrome, Google Docs, Gmail, Facebook, Word, LinkedIn, and various other common business tools.
- Affordable pricing: Alongside a free plan, Quillbot offers some affordable pricing plans, starting at only $8.33 per month for annual plans.
The free version of Quillbot includes support for up to 125 words in the paraphraser tool, fluency and standard modes, 1 freeze word, and limited use of the synonym slider.
The premium plan, starting at $19.95 per month for monthly users, includes unlimited words and custom modes.
It also comes with unique summary solutions, recommended rewrites, a plagiarism checker, tone insights, paraphraser history, and unlimited freeze words.
- Excellent paraphrasing and summarization tools
- Convenient free version for beginners
- Grammar and plagiarism checking
- Custom modes and pre-built modes
- Easy to use functionality
- Limited functionality for certain tasks
- Free version lacks some advanced tools
We’d recommend YouChat to users who want access to exceptional AI-driven research and content creation tools, without compromising on privacy.
Another conversational AI model that offers a fantastic alternative to ChatGPT, YouChat is great for browsing the internet at speed and accessing comprehensive responses to questions.
It can translate content, summarize text, and respond to general inquiries. Plus, it can write code and email on your behalf, and provide access to the latest internet-based information.
Easy to use for beginners, YouChat is ideal if you’ve never used a generative bot before, and need help with comprehensive content and code creation. It’s constantly improving too, thanks to in-built machine learning capabilities.
- Search functionality: This AI chatbot is great for improving the search process, as it can rapidly draw information from various parts of the internet.
- Content generation: The writing AI solution for YouChat means you can prompt the solution with the type of content, tone and keywords to include in your content.
- Code generation: YouChat excels at code generation, creating all forms of code in seconds, with more accuracy than many competitors.
- Privacy: The security-conscious solution keeps your IP address safe, and doesn’t save any personal data when interacting with users.
- Simplicity: YouChat is extremely easy to use, and comes with a free plan that’s great for beginners who have a limited budget.
YouChat has a generous free version with unlimited AI chat searches, 10 writing and image generation options, AI personalization and standard uptime.
You can also manage a full chat history. The paid plans start at $14.99 per month, with GPT-4 access, unlimited image and writing generation options, priority uptime and early access to APIs and new models.
Plus, with the premium version you get enhanced personalization, powerful comprehension, and faster photorealistic images with Stable Diffusion XL. There’s also a custom pricing option available for groups and teams.
- Excellent search functionality for beginners
- Great for creating all kinds of unique content
- Fantastic code generation capabilities
- Extensive free plan
- User-friendly functionality for beginners
- May occasionally make mistakes with content
- Group plans can be expensive
8. Claude AI
We’d choose Claude AI for high-end business users who need help writing content, generating ideas, and crafting intelligent automation.
Claude AI, created by anthropic, is an AI-powered chatbot with a range of advanced features. It was designed to help companies with various conversation-driven and text-based tasks.
Users can access the system through a user-friendly chat interface, or the developer console API, making it an excellent solution for those in need of advanced customization.
Claude is excellent for summarizing large amounts of text instantly, searching for information online, and collaborating on writing projects.
It’s also built with constitutional AI standards, making it a more secure option for businesses looking for a compliant alternative to ChatGPT Plus.
- Content generation: Claude AI and Claude 2 can generate, edit, and summarize content in an instant. It can even help with brainstorming, and provide writing suggestions to content creators who need additional inspiration.
- Flexibility: The AI assistant can adapt to suit your specific tone of voice, or certain writing styles. It can be personalized in a variety of ways, and features complex reasoning and coding capabilities, as well as content generation.
- Comprehension: Unlike many competing tools, Claude has a 100k+ token window, which makes it ideal for handling complex multi-step instructions when producing large amounts of content. It can even remember context.
- Automation: Claude can handle various instructions and logical scenarios, including formatting outputs according to your needs. It can also follow if-then statements, making it fantastic at automating repetitive tasks.
- Security: Clause uses industry-standard best practices for managing and handling data. If you’re worried about sharing sensitive data with AI tools, then Claude may be ideal for you.
Anthropic offers different pricing models for each version of Claude. Claude Instant costs $0.80 per million tokens (prompt) and $2.40 per million tokens (completion). Claude 2.0 prices start at $8.00 per million tokens (prompt), and $24.00 per million tokens (completion).
There’s also an advanced version of Claude (Claude 2.1), which is available for the same pricing plan as Claude 2.0.
- Excellent security and privacy features
- Integrations for various workflows
- Powerful context management features
- Exceptional content creation features
- Adaptability for different writing styles
- Not ideal for general-purpose AI tasks
- Slight learning curve for beginners
9. Elsa Speak
We recommend Elsa Speak to multinational companies that need to help employees and customers understand content in various languages and improve their English competency.
If you’re looking for the best ChatGPT alternatives for translation purposes, Elsa Speak is a great solution.
This AI-based language learning applications runs user speech examinations in real-time, then formulates a set of tasks any user can comprehend. The technology was built using voice recordings of people speaking in English with many different accents.
This technology enables the tool to identify the vocal patterns of people without a native language proficiency.
It can help you improve your English speaking skills, with 90% of users saying they improve their pronunciation using Elsa.
- Education: Elsa can create bite-sized customized lessons for students learning English as a second language, complete with insights into pronunciation and grammar.
- Flexible API: users can embed the Elsa world-class speech recognition technology into their existing applications with a convenient API.
- Assessment options: Elsa can test the progress of learners with rapid-fire questionnaires, surveys, and various assessment options.
- Coaching: With real-time coaching, learners get step-by-step support to keep them motivated and focused, as well as speech recognition feedback.
- Flexible access: Elsa is available on the web, as well as on the Google and Apple app store for mobile users.
Users can try three Elsa AI scenarios for free. After that, “Pro” plans start at $11.99 per month, per user, when billed annually. The company also offers specialist subscriptions for schools and companies who have multiple users.
- Excellent language recognition capabilities
- Easy to use solution for mobile and web users
- Rapid language translation capabilities
- Excellent training and coaching features
- Flexible API
- Only suitable for a handful of use cases
- The AI technology isn’t as advanced as on other apps
10. OpenAI Playground
We’d recommend OpenAI Playground to OpenAI fans who want a version of ChatGPT specially designed for content creation.
It may surprise you to learn that OpenAI has its own open-source alternative to ChatGPT. If your team members already use ChatGPT, but want more advanced features for content creation and dataset exploration, OpenAI Playground could be the AI platform for you.
Built on the same AI systems as ChatGPT, OpenAI Playground is a web-based tool that makes it easier to test prompts, experiment with new functionality, and discover how large language models work.
It might even help you develop training for users accessing solutions like Lamda, Palm, and other LLM technology.
- AI modes: Like ChatGPT, OpenAI mostly operates as a chatbot, but it also allows you to switch between different modes for various use cases. It can tell you stories, answer or create Q&A sections for your website and more.
- Content editing: OpenAI can help with the auto-completion of existing content, editing and rewriting content, and adjusting tone of voice. You can also adjust the settings to change the kind of response you get.
- Multiple models: OpenAI Playground offers access to various pre-built models like OpenAI’s GPT-3, GPT-4, and more. It’s ideal for experimenting with and comparing the different LLM solutions offered by the market research.
- Technical research: This AI platform is geared towards technical research and development, allowing users to fine tune machine learning models with custom data sets, and develop applications with machine learning abilities.
While there’s a free version of OpenAI Playground available for beginners, extensive access requires a premium subscription.
You need to pay for each token you use with the API, and pricing can vary depending on your specific requirements.
- Exceptional accuracy and speed
- Flexible customization options
- Different language model options to choose from
- Intelligent insights into LLMs
- Free initial usage
- Expensive fees for heavy usage
- Slightly complicated for beginners
Choosing the Best ChatGPT Alternatives
ChatGPT may have introduced many users to the benefits of generative AI and large language models, but it’s far from the only solution for today’s AI enthusiasts.
The options above represent just some of the best AI alternatives to ChatGPT for different use cases. However, there are other great options out there, such as Perplexity AI, GitHub Copilot, and more.
If you’re not sure which ChatGPT alternative is best suited to your needs, I recommend examining options with free trials. This will allow you to test the functionality of each app before you commit to a long-term plan.
There are dozens of alternatives to ChatGPT in the generative AI landscape. Options range from writing tools like Chatsonic, Jasper, and Copy.Ai, to language learning tools like Elsa Chat, and even search solutions like Microsoft Bing AI and Google Bard.
Bard can be an excellent alternative to ChatGPT for some users. As Google upgrades the solution with new models like Gemini, it’s becoming increasingly advanced. It will soon be able to respond to multimodal prompts, and can already offer more thorough responses to certain questions.
GPT-4, the latest version of the LLM powering ChatGPT on the “premium” version of the app does have a lot of extra benefits over the free alternative. It includes access to the internet, advanced context retention, and improved language understanding capabilities.